San Miguel Writers’ Conference Feature Billy Collins and Naomi Klein
By Susan Page
Another epic week is being planned for the Twelfth Annual San Miguel Writers’ Conference and Literary Festival, February 15 to 19, 2017, In San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato. Registration is now open, and we encourage everyone to register early to avoid disappointment. You may buy a package for the entire Conference or individual tickets to the events of your choice. Obtain complete information at our website: www.sanmiguelwritersconference.org.
Keynote speakers for the February 2017 event will be the following:
• Judy Collins, the legendary folk singer and author of several moving memoirs;
• Naomi Klein, whose books The Shock Doctrine and This Changes Everything stunned the reading public with their meticulously researched revelations. Naomi’s husband, Avi Lewis, who made a film based on the book, This Changes Everything, will also be at the Conference to present a screening of the film and conduct a Q and A in person;
• Mary Karr, author of runaway bestseller, The Liar’s Club along with two sequels, plus her wildly popular guide for memoirists, The Art of Memoir, and her highly acclaimed graduation address, adapted to a book: Now Go Out There (And Get Curious);
• Billy Collins, U.S. Poet Laureate, 2001 to 2003, whom the New York Times called “the most popular poet in America;” arguably the most beloved and acclaimed poet in the U.S. today.
• David Ebershoff, whose debut novel, The Danish Girl, became an immediate bestseller and was made into a box-office hit movie;
• Lisa Moore, Canadian novelist and short story writer, who has been nominated for or won numerous awards for her writing and was nominated for the Man Booker Prize;
• Pedro Palou, celebrated Mexican journalist and scholar who has written more than forty books, was the Minister of Culture for the State of Puebla; has taught at Dartmouth, and is currently Chair of the Romance Languages Department at Tufts University.
Post-Conference Intensive Workshops
This year for the first time, we are offering four five-day intensive post-conference workshops:
• “Writing Your Heart Out: Exploring Your Loves, Losses, and Longings” with Roger Housden, author of twenty-four books, including his famous Ten Poems series
• “The Secret of Breathtaking Fiction: What Lies Beneath the Surface” with Susan Brown, seasoned and highly acclaimed writing coach.
• “Writing Poetry and Short-Form Prose: A Multi-Genre Workshop” with Cecilia Woloch, celebrated poet and beloved teacher
• “The Craft of Memoir: Writing Fact as Fascinating as Fiction” with Gail Sheehy, journalist and bestselling author of Passages and Daring
Spanish Language Events
All of the keynote presentations will be simultaneously translated into Spanish. Each time we offer breakout sessions, we always offer one in Spanish. In addition, a full program of Spanish language keynote addresses and workshops, integrated into the English language schedule, will take place at Bellas Artes.
Registration and Tickets
The Conference offers three registration packages: Basic Conference (all the keynotes and workshops, available to the first 75 people who select this); Full Conference (all the keynotes, workshops, social events, and some extras); and The Whole Enchilada (includes two three-hour intensives plus an intimate round table discussion with one of the keynote speakers).
In addition to these packages, individual tickets are available for each of the keynote speeches, for the three-hour intensive workshops, and for some other events. Please note that most of the keynote speeches and all of the packages sell out early. Registration is now open; so don’t delay too long before purchasing the package or tickets of your choice.
For the complete exciting information on the Conference, to purchase single event tickets, or for easy, on-line registration for the Basic, Full, or Whole Enchilada Conference, visit website at www.sanmiguelwritersconference.org. We encourage you to register early for your choice of workshops. If for any reason you can’t register or buy tickets on line, write to Nathan Feuerberg at firstname.lastname@example.org for personal help.
For more information about Lake Chapala visit: www.chapala.com
- March 2023 Issue - February 28, 2023
- March 2023 – Articles - February 28, 2023
- March 2023 - February 28, 2023